West Park, Wolverhampton - A wonderful open space!

West Park is in Wolverhampton. This 43 acre park is one of the best unspoilt Victorian parks left in England.


West Park is on Park Road West and Park Road East in the City of Wolverhampton. 

West Park Wolverhampton

West Park, Wolverhampton (March 2019). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

The park contains a Children's Playground, Tearoom, Bandstand, Boating Lake, Conservatory, plus Tennis Courts.

West Park Wolverhampton

West Park, Wolverhampton (March 2019). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

It is a short walk away from The Molineux, home of Wolverhampton Wanderers FC. West Park lies to the north west of Wolverhampton City Centre, and is in walking distance of Wolverhampton Station and Wolverhampton St George's Tram Stop. Plus all main bus routes from National Express West Midlands.

 

History of West Park, Wolverhampton

Formerly called the People's Park, it opened in 1881. It was the site of the Race Course or Broad Meadows, owned by the Duke of Cleveland. The park was landscaped between 1879 and 1881. The park includes several ornamental lakes, a bandstand and a conservatory. Commemorative flower beds were set out for the Coronation of King George V in 1911 and the same for King George VI in 1937.

West Park Wolverhampton

Gates between Park Road West and Park Road East at West Park, Wolverhampton (March 2019). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

West Park Lodge

The Lodge or Gatehouse at West Park is near the Park Road West and Park Road East entrance gate. It is now used as the Ranger Station.

West Park Wolverhampton

The Lodge at West Park, Wolverhampton (March 2019). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

West Park Bandstand

The Bandstand is Grade II listed dating from 1882. It was made by McDowell Stevens & Co of Glasgow. Originally made of a Cast-iron on brick base. It used to have a cast-iron roof, but this was replaced with fibreglass in 1976. The bandstand is in an Octagonal structure on brick base.

West Park, Wolverhampton

Bandstand at West Park, Wolverhampton (March 2019). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

West Park Conservatory

The Conservatory is opposite of the West Park Boating Lake. It is a Grade II listed building. It dates to 1896 and was designed by Dan Gibson. It was made of Brick with terracotta dressings. It also had a timber superstructure on iron stanchions.

West Park Wolverhampton

Conservatory at West Park, Wolverhampton (March 2019). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

Statue of Charles Pelham Villiers

The statue of Charles Pelham Villiers is Grade II listed. It was made in 1878 and was of the town's long standing Member of Parliament, Rt.Hon. Charles Pelham Villiers. It was sculpted by W. Theed the younger. The statue was made of Ashlar. It was placed on a high plinth which supports a figure in 19th century dress and was holding scroll, against draped stand. The statue was moved from it's original position in Snow Hill, Wolverhampton in 1931, to this site in West Park. Villiers was born in 1802 and died in 1898 at the age of 96 years. He was MP for Wolverhampton for a record 63 years! He had the seat of Wolverhampton from 1835 until 1885, then Wolverhampton South from 1885 until his death in 1898.

West Park Wolverhampton

Statue of Charles Pelham Villiers at West Park, Wolverhampton (March 2019). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

West Park Boating Lake

The West Park Boating Lake is on the western side of the park and is split in half by a bridge. With islands in the middle of both sections. You would find the usual ducks, geese and gulls here!

West Park Wolverhampton

Boating Lake at West Park, Wolverhampton (March 2019). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

West Park Tearooms

The West Park Tearooms are close to the centre of the park, not far from the Bandstand.

West Park Wolverhampton

Tearooms at West Park, Wolverhampton (March 2019). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

Victorian Sewer sculpture

The brick sculpture of a Victorian Sewer was built for the Wolverhampton Fiesta of the 1970s. Made of brick. It is close to the south of the park near Park Road West.

West Park Wolverhampton

Victorian Sewer sculpture at West Park, Wolverhampton (March 2019). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

 

Project dates

28 May 2020 - On-going

Passions

History & heritage, Photography, Environment & green action
People & community, Rivers, lakes & canals, Landscape architecture, Green open spaces, Classic Architecture

You might like

Contact

Your Place Your Space

Jonathan Bostock

0121 410 5520
jonathan.bostock@ yourplaceyourspace.com