St. Andrew's - Home of Birmingham City FC

St. Andrew's is home to Birmingham City Football Club. The team was founded in 1875 under the name Small Heath Alliance and the current stadium was built in 1993.


Where is St Andrew's?

St. Andrew's Stadium is on Cattell Road, Small Heath, Birmingham, B9 4RL. It is the home of Birmingham City Football Club.

 

In brief

Birmingham City Football Club was founded in 1875. The team been based at St. Andrew's Stadium which is located in Small Heath since 1906. For stadium licencing purposes, it is now known as St. Andrew's Trillion Trophy Stadium.

St Andrew'sSt Andrew's from the Library of Birmingham (January 2018). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

St Andrew's Stadium - history of the build

Birmingham City Football Club was founded in 1875 under the name of Small Heath Alliance.

Their first ground was on waste land off Arthur Street in Bordesley Green. Their next temporary move was to Ladypool Road in Sparkbrook.  They then opened a ground at Muntz Street, which had four sides of open terraces. Over the years, the ground grew and had a capacity of up to 30,000 spectators.

The director of the club at that time, Harry Morris, then found the current site and construction of the stadium began in 1906. Birmingham City have remained on this site to the present day.

 

Main stands within St. Andrew's

The four main stands within the ground are called: The Grandstand (near Garrison Lane), the Main Stand, the Railway Stand and the Kop Stand.

The stadium has received many improvements over the years. The modern stadium was built during the mid to late 1990s, under the then chairman David Gold.

St Andrew's BCFCSt Andrew's home of Birmingham City Football Club (March 2013). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

St Andrew's BCFCSt Andrew's home of Birmingham City Football Club (August 2013). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

St Andrews BCFCSt Andrew's home of Birmingham City Football Club (October 2017). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

View of St Andrew's taken from Dollman Street, not far from the Birmingham Museum Collection Centre. The Freightliner depot at Landor Street is in front of the stadium.

St Andrew's from Dollman StreetSt Andrew's from Dollman Street (May 2012). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

There used to be a view of St Andrew's from Jennens Road until 2010. This view was lost when Millennium Point Multi-Storey Car Park got built, and later the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire.

St Andrew's from Jennens RoadA now lost view due to the redevelopment of Eastside of St Andrew's from near Millennium Point on Jennens Road, Eastside (February 2010). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

Sleeping Iron Giant

An iron sculpture between Garrison Lane and Cattell Road lies on a small grassy hill. It is called Sleeping Iron Giant and was sculpted by Ondre Nowakowski in 1992. It is made from iron, sintered, polyester resin, on steel reinforced frame.

This sculpture was designed as one of a number of gateways to the Birmingham Heartlands.

In recent years 'Blues' fans known as 'blue noses' have painted the nose blue as it is on the walk towards St. Andrew's.

BluesnoseSleeping Iron Giant sculpted by Ondre Nowakowski in 1992 (April 2018). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

Transport to St Andrew's

By car: There is a car park at St Andrew's on Cattell Road.

By bus: 17, 17S, 28A, 60 or 849 from Coventry Road. 97 from Garrison Lane.

By train: Fans can get off at Bordesley Station on Saturday match days and walk. Note it is not open Sunday to Friday as it is a Parliamentary station. Alternatively fans walk from Birmingham City Centre from Birmingham New Street or Birmingham Moor Street via Digbeth.

 

Contact details

Birmingham City Football Club

St. Andrew's Trillion Trophy Stadium

Cattell Road

Small Heath

Birmingham

B9 4RL

0121 772 0101

Project dates

05 May 2021 - On-going

Passions

History & heritage, Sport & leisure, Modern Architecture

You might like

Contact

Your Place Your Space

Jonathan Bostock

0121 410 5520
jonathan.bostock@ yourplaceyourspace.com